Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Recovery Time

As soon as I finished the Wilderness 101, I knew that I would need a good, long time to recover. I just didn't expect it to take so long. Last week, I put my mountain bike away and only got on my road bike for transportation to/from work. I figured I'd be fully recovered after a week of rest... but I wasn't.

I couldn't miss the Scout Camp ride, as it was the last time to ride there before the 18 hour race on August 16th. So, I headed up there with Francine to crank out a few laps. When we arrived, Francine took off and I waited for a couple friends. I ended up riding 3 laps with the fellas, and I was wiped. I'm not sure what happened next, but I think I fell asleep. :) I actually felt okay on Saturday, so I planned a long ride for Sunday as well. Forget about it.

Sunday came around and I decided to rest...errr start building the retaining wall I wanted in the back yard. So, my "rest" day turned into a "hard work" day. I guess I have all week to rest, right?

Monday - after my laborious workday at the "office" (really, I'm just a glorified day laborer), I worked for hours on the retaining wall.

Today - I wasn't kidding about my job. Today (Tuesday), I had to determine the contents of a leaking underground tank. So, I dug a hole in concrete-like dirt (3' diameter and 2' deep) to expose its top. Then I cut into the tank and gauged the contents. Hard work. After riding my bike home (only a six mile trek), I sat my ass on the couch and "potatoed".

My legs, arms, and back are all tired and I'm starting to feel a bit like an old man. I wonder how my body will feel after the 18 hour race. I'll have 2 weeks to recover and then... SM100! I just hope it doesn't come between me kickin Schalk's butt!

No comments: