Sunday, July 27, 2008

Wilderness 101

Francine and I took off Friday afternoon for Coburn, PA for the Wilderness 101 ultra-endurance MTB race. After an eight hour trip, we FINALLY arrived at Coburn Park at 10pm. I picked up my registration packet and prepared my gear and bike for the long race. I still needed to swap my tires for the new Crossmark USTs I picked up Friday morning. I also needed to clean the drivetrain and briefly inspect the bike. While I played with the bike, Francine set up the tent and bed (thanks Francine!). I finally finished the bike maintenance and prepared my drop bags. I decided to drop a bottle full of Heed at aid station 3. At aid station 4, I dropped a fresh pair of gloves, an extra tube, and a bottle of Heed/Sustained Energy mixed (I would soon find out this was a big mistake). I made my drops and crashed at midnight. At 5am, the gong sounded the alarm for everyone to get the hell up. I jumped up, got dressed and cooked some french toast. I was ready to ride at 6, and had plenty of time to relax and think about my plan of attack, which consisted of staying on the bike and continuing to pedal until the end of the race :) .

The Main Event

At 6:45am, riders were gathering at the starting line. I saw a few locals in the mix, Travis Williams (AKA Metro), David Kelnberger, Shane Cusack, Jay Cullen, Jon Rittling, and a couple of other Endorphin guys. As the race started, we all rode together along the roads of Coburn. Then (as expected) everyone slowly moved ahead and I didn't see most of them again. I felt strong, and after 3 hours I had completed 40 miles. I passed by aid station 1, and at Aid Station 2, I had my Heed bottle refilled and pressed on. The first 60 miles was FAST and mostly fire roads and double track. The downhills were either super fast and long or short and much slower on singletrack. At one point, I was flying down a trail when I had to slam on the brakes to keep from hitting a rider climbing over a tree hanging about 2 feet over the trail. I later was told that Travis hopped that tree and face dove into the rocky path below. I didn't have any real dramatic falls, but I did take a few over-the-handlebars falls that could've been ugly. Nothing like a little carnage to brighten a race...Right?

Just when I thought it was going to be a 10 hour race, I snapped a spoke. this only cost me 5 minutes, but it's the thought that counts. My next mishap would only slow down the incredible pace I should've had on a swift and smooth doubletrack downhill. Somehow, during my descent, my chain got all wrapped in the gears and fell off. I spent only a couple of minutes straightening it, but it cost me my momentum. It really isn't a race unless I have some kind of chain issue (Breaking a chain is my typical M.O.).

When I arrived at Aid Station 3 (about 60 miles in and just under 6 hours), I needed a water and Heed refill. I also jumped on some cold Coke (I am now a believer in Coke during endurance races) and Gatorade while I waited for the AWESOME support crew to hook me up. I'll be honest, the next twenty miles are a blur, I can't really remember anything significant. I am probably blocking out the rocky trails I pushed through while my shocks were locked out... yeah, big mistake... oh, and a couple of times I was tossed like a wannabe machine bull rider at a shotty pub in western Kentucky. I do remember a short, super steep downhill section on some singletrack that had my heart rate up. I passed a few "riders" on this section. This is where I got my "minute of glory", passing other riders while they cautiously walk their bikes down the steep slope. Somehow, my bike took me in the direction of the path, I swear I had little to do with it.

When I arrived at Aid Station 4, I was dry and out of gel. I had a drop bag with a bottle of Heed/Sustained Energy mix and a fresh pair of gloves. I got topped off and pushed on. I saw Reene Greene at the Aid Station and I wanted to catch up with her. I felt surprisingly good on the climb that followed and saw her ahead. Then I took a BIG swig of my Heed/Sustained Endurance mix. got queasy. I have a good strong stomach, so I figured it wouldn't last. I took another swig, thinking I needed more electrolytes and protein. Then I started dry heaving. I guess the mix went bad after sitting in the sun all day. I was sick and weak for the next twenty miles...

It seemed to take forever to get to Aid Station 5, but when I did finally arrive, I swapped out the bad crap with some fresh Heed, downed some ice cold Coke, rejoined a few riders I'd let get ahead of me, and made the final push. I felt almost instantly better after getting fresh electrolytes in me. My nausea went away and I regained power in my legs. I guess it helped to have only one last hill ahead of me. I pushed out the last twelve miles in just over an hour, finishing at 11 hours and 37 minutes (according to my watch). My goal was 11 hours (to tie my Cohutta 100 time).

Not too bad a result, but I need to figure out my nutrition. I could just go with Heed and gels, but people keep telling me I need protein to keep strong during the long races. Any suggestions?

Post-Race, I grabbed a quick shower and a hamburger and hotdogs. Hung out for a few with friends, and then Francine drove us home. Next Race = 18 Hours on the Farm.

No comments: