Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ramping Down and Giving Birth

This week is all about getting things done and getting my priotities straight. I've got a couple days before spending 18 hours on my bike, so I'm ramping down my daily workouts. Not that I was working THAT hard in the first place, but it's nice to relax a bit more and take care of some other things in my life.

Dropping the Mother Load

My bud, Josh Krider and his wife Beth pooped out a baby boy, Asher, last Thursday. I finally got to meet him on Sunday - and he was friggin tiny! Josh said that he was under six pounds! I weighed 10 pounds and 12 ounces when I was born (don't laugh at the fat babies, they remember!!!).


So, everything seems like it went well, except for having to deal with 19+ hours of labor! ouch!! Well Josh, you get the gold medal for that one! Just a bit of advice: try Italian food and more castor oil next time...




Back to Cycling...

I had a big weekend of riding planned and bailed on most of it. Saturday I drove up to the scout camp and plugged in a few hours of light trail work with Jason Hopkins. I had an objective: to clean out the first sharp right turn by the lake. It's a bad spot that's been worn and eroded, and I always come close to eating it everytime I pass by. We fixed up and cleared the area - and I am excited to ride out there tonight! The plan was to ride after the trail work, but I bailed to hit the couch for some R&R. Sunday, I met Jason out at Pocahontas State Park for a 25 to 30 mile ride in the A.M. Starting out, I led us at a fast pace down the green and then the red trails. Somehow (maybe I'm just ADD?) I clipped a tree with my hand/right handlebar and dropped like a rag doll. I got up pretty quick, but never got the mojo back. Jason happily took lead and continued to drop me throughout the rest of the day with ease (and at an endurance pace). AFterwards, I felt pretty beat down and tired. My recovery: I met Francine and some friends at the crowded festival err. Watermelon Festival in Carytown. This seems to be a festival created just because they needed more festivals... It was fine, just too many peeps all over the place snailing around and blocking pedestrian traffic....kids and dogs running all over without their leashes...drunken old mulleteers breathing in your face... the usual. I stopped at Weezey's Kitchen for a drink with my bro, Dan, and met up with Francine and her compadre there as well. Good Times. Then I got a little clausterphobic and had to exit. Couch time and Olympics... that's the R&R I was talking about!

I never really felt good on Sunday (as far as my ride went), so I met up with my bud Brandon on Monday to see how the legs felt. We took it pretty easy, rode the horseshoe (Buttermilk and North Shore and then turn around at the Nickel Bridge) a couple of times and called it a night. My legs felt surprisingly better. My plan for the rest of the week is: ride a couple hours today on the mountainbike, then short road rides for Thursday and Friday. Saturday will be my first solo 18hour event.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck at the 18 Hour race this weekend :) Looking forward to the write-up :)

Brendan Hogan said...

fire it up! good luck in the race man! 18hrs is craziness. i'm doing a 100 mile relay with some friends in vermont this weekend myself. should be fun. you can check out some stories and pics afterwords if interested: alpacaluv.blogspot.com