Thursday, July 17, 2008

The High Cost of Gas VS. The Big Payoff of High Gas Prices

What is wrong with the transportation system in American cities, towns, and counties? No bike lanes, little mass transport, and unsuitable walkways for pedestrians... and ... too many automobiles!!!! Amazingly, even the tough minded critics of "the system" play into it and continue to fall into the daily grind of driving everywhere and bitching about gas prices, as well as complaining of poor physical health. Yeah, I can be included in the mix. I've driven about 20,000 miles per year in my car! I drive to work (six miles each way), to dinner, to the store, to the city, etc. I drive everywhere!!! And I know that most people are in the same boat.

Herein lies the GREAT thing about gas prices jumping to 4+ dollars per gallon. I've started riding my bike to work!! Almost every workday for the past month, I've jumped on the bike and cranked through traffic on the narrow, rural streets of Mechanicsville to get to work. At first it was hard for me because I'm not a morning person, but I am getting used to it and felling better, more awake and alert, and healthy everyday that I ride to work. I've not lost any weight or anything (not that I really need to), but I feel more energized and positive in general. I wonder how biking to work affects other people? My friend in Switzerland told me last year that his dad was diagnosed with high blood pressure and that his doctor said he needed medication to reduce it. His dad refused the meds and just started riding his bike to work and eating a little better. In less than a month, he lost several pounds and his blood pressure reduced to a normal level. Awesome huh?

Back to gas prices -
Now that I've been riding to work, I've reduced my gas usage by almost half. I've also started hypermiling (www.hypermiling.com), or trying to hypermile... I haven't recorded my MPG changes yet, but I'm sure it helps as I used to be an aggressive driver...

I know that other people are thinking along the same lines about how to save gas and money. People are buying scooters, high MPG vehicles, and hybrids like mad! I've been waiting for this type of shift in American mentality for a long time. The days of the super big, gas guzzling, monster mom mobiles are done. Good riddens! maybe we'll see a thinner, more healthy America in the upcoming years... and an America that is more environmentally friendly and healthy as well!

plito

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, I should really start riding my bike to work...

Anonymous said...

yo P - you inspired me to get back on it, I finally rode to work today! Yipeee! I feel great even though I stink! F the man!

Paulito said...

Great!! That's right kids, anytime you can... F The Man!

Anonymous said...

Tell us about your adventure at Big Levels and the hornets nest!!! :)

Anonymous said...

yeah, P, if you're going to do this blog thing then you better keep us entertained with regular updates of your adventures!

I humbley suggest a minimum of weekly submissions.